Thursday, October 21, 2010

Journey into instant parenthood: Coming together

About three months after Jessica had left her husband, a mutual friend gave me her number and we started the communication.

At first it was just texting. Then we added talking to the equation. About three weeks after we started talking, I was working at the gateway mall and her family was going there to shop. It was the perfect situation for us to meet for the first time, but we both chickened out! That was a Monday and we ended up going out that next weekend, so all was good.

We continued to develop our friendship and relationship. I still remember one night we were hanging out at her house and the kids were asleep. She left to get something upstairs and I was so nervous that one of them would wake up and come out and see this strange guy. I was relieved when Jessica came back and they didn't come out.

Then the question came, when should I meet the kids?

It was something we took seriously, because you don't let your kids meet just anyone and I knew that once I met the kids, it instantly became that much more serious of a relationship. When I would tell people at work about the situation, they would warn me about kids and how it can be so hard. But something inside me, was looking forward to meeting them and loved the thought of dating someone with kids.

So, the night came that I was going to meet these little kiddies. We decided to go to Chili's and go bowling. One of the things that sticks out in my mind, is when we first got there I opened a sugar packet and ate the sugar (yes, I know, mature right?) and put my gum in the empty packet. Next thing I know, three and half year old Braxton is doing the same thing. It ended up being a great night and the next time I saw them it was at Gateway mall for a fun little "family" date. Cadence would not stop looking at me (see pic), it was so much to be around these kids. The first time I met Jessica's family was at Cadence's first birthday and it wasn't just her immediate family, but everyone was there! It went well though...

Our chemistry was undeniable and we were always smiling and laughing with each other. Would it be in our plans and God's plan for us to continue our relationship? [ Not a great cliffhanger, seeing as you already know the outcome, but figured I would try :) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment